The only thing better than starting a day trimming the fairway is doing it with frosty brew in hand. Our first Redding Beer Week event was the 3rd Annual Redding Golf Course 2 on 2 tournament, and we started it off with a
slice bang. The event featured 9 beers and 9 holes of iron heavy fairways centered next to Caldwell Park in downtown Redding. The laid-back course is flat and forgiving, but still has plenty of challenge with the large shade trees and various water obstacles.
The breweries at the event included some of the best names in the North, with a great variety of different suds -
- Wildcard Brewing Co - Liar’s Dice Pale Ale
- Mt. Shasta Brewing Company - Jalapeno Weed Ale
- Fall River Brewery - Kilty Pleasure Scotch Ale
- Lagunitas - Little Sumpin Ale
- Lassen Ale Works - Almanor Amber Ale
- Wildcard Brewing Co - Double Down Red Ale
- Hop Valley Brewing Company - Double D Blonde Ale
- Lost Coast Brewery - Great White
The Event also included a finisher’s BBQ featuring burgers piled high with grilled onions and crisp bacon. Chips, and more beer rounded out the meal, making it the most enjoyable rounds of golf I’ve ever had.
So how did we do? Well, you’ll have to find the torn up scorecard by the pin at hole 7 to get an idea; but it’s impossible to lose when tasting such fine brews so we finished up the event with a smile on our faces and a twinkle in our eyes. When golf meets beer week, we all win.
Photo Credit: Carson Blume @ www.carsonblumephotography.com